I was craving brownies on Thursday so I thought I would try to adapt my “healthy” brownie recipe into a gluten free one. I say that they’re healthy because the recipe doesn’t contain any added fat. Somehow they come out moist and delicious every time! After tasting one of these brownies, I don’t think anyone could tell that they’re gluten free. They tasted just like the brownies baked using the original recipe!
Makes 12 brownies
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour (I substituted 1/4 cup of Pamela’s Baking Mix to make it gluten free)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder (omit if using Pamela’s – it already has baking powder in it)
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray
3. Combine applesauce, vanilla, egg whites, and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
6. Spread batter into an even layer in your 8×8 pan.
7. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
8. Cool for about an hour and then slice into 12 squares.