Two posts in one day? What’s going on?! Since I’m officially finished with the fall quarter, I don’t really have anything to do at the moment. I decided to take this weekend off from doing anything school-related, but starting tomorrow I’ll be studying for my Pr.axis II tests.
I thought I would write up a post about a great recipe that I tried out earlier in the week. I was invited over to a friend’s house for dinner on Friday and I volunteered to bring dessert. After searching around for a great quick bread recipe, I came across this cinnamon sugar bread recipe on Liz’s blog – A Whisk and A Prayer
. I’ve adapted a few of her recipes in the past and they have tasted divine. This bread was no exception! I did decrease the amount of sugar used in both the batter and the cinnamon sugar topping. I felt that 1 & 1/3 cups of sugar would have made the bread a little too sweet. I included the original amounts though just in case you like your bread extra sweet!
For the cinnamon sugar swirl:
1/4 cup white sugar (originally 1/3 cup)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the batter:
2 cups flour (recipe called for all-purpose, but I subbed in whole wheat)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (originally 1 cup)
1 egg, beaten (I used egg beaters)
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (recipe called for oil)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar.
4. Add egg, milk, and applesauce to the dry ingredients.
5. Stir until moistened.
6. Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan.
7. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
8. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture over batter.
9. Pour the remaining batter into the loaf pan.
10. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar over batter.
11. Drag a knife through the batter to swirl in cinnamon sugar.
12. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
13. Cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
14. Cool completely overnight or enjoy a warm piece!