I reluctantly woke up at 5:15 this morning to get ready for my second monitoring appointment. The beauty of showing up at 6:00 AM for an appointment is being finished by 6:30. After getting my blood drawn and explaining my cloth bandage allergy to the nurse, I headed in for another date with Wandy.
Dr. P. told me that my lining was 7mm – a big jump from Friday’s number of 3mm. The right ovary decided to get its act together because we saw two 10mm follicles. The left ovary showed three measurable follicles. The 6mm follicle from Friday jumped to 10mm, the 8mm jumped to 12mm, and another 8mm one appeared. When the ultrasound was finished, Dr. P discussed triggering. Since I go to a military clinic, we’re always affected by government holidays. Since Monday is President’s Day, the clinic will close on Thursday afternoon and not open back up until Tuesday morning. Dr. P. told me that depending on Thursday’s blood draw, we might not be able to go forward with IUI. If I trigger on Thursday, then we’ll just do timed intercourse (TI).
At first I was a little upset about possibly missing out on doing IUI, but the last four IUIs have been unsuccessful. I got pregnant both times through TI. Who’s to say that TI wouldn’t work this time?
However, plans could change. If my hormone levels don’t match up, then I probably won’t trigger until Sunday. If that happens, the IUI will happen on Tuesday.
I walked out of the office feeling pretty confident. Things were progressing and we had a plan. It looked like I wouldn’t be increasing my meds or adding anything into the mix.
I spoke too soon.
The new RE nurse gave me a call while I was waiting for spin class to begin. She told me that while my E2 level rose significantly from Friday’s number (9.4), it was only at a 69.6 today. Still not where it should be. She told me that Dr. P. wanted to up my Me.nopur dosage and add in G.onal-F. I was told to do 1 vial of Me.nopur and 2 vials of G.onal-F twice a day – once in the morning and once in the evening. I thought to myself, “Why are we going from one vial of meds to six vials all at once?” This made absolutely no sense to me. I questioned new nurse and she put me on hold to confer with Dr. P. She got back on the phone and told me that’s what he wanted me to do.
The entire spin class I felt uneasy about the conversation. Once spin was over, I hopped in the car and drove back to the clinic. I talked to Nurse D and she looked shocked when I told her about the dosage increase. She said we weren’t doing IVF, so there must have been a mistake. She sent new nurse back down to confirm with Dr. P. New nurse came back and told me that he wanted me to do 1 vial of each med, twice a day. I was told to come back in on Thursday morning to check my progress so we can make a decision about the trigger.
I’m so glad that I stopped into the office to confirm the dosage. If I didn’t, I would have more than likely overstimmed, which would have resulted in yet another cancelled cycle. I’m not at the point where we can afford to cancel cycles. IVF in April is looming in the not so distant future.
Life lesson learned today – If you feel uneasy or unsure about a decision, don’t hesitate or be afraid to ask questions and challenge that decision. You have to be an advocate for your own health. I know my history. I know what can happen if I have too many hormones floating around. I’ve had too many follicles to count. I’ve had 3 cysts rupture at the same time. I’ve had mild OHSS. I don’t want any of this to happen again.
I’m not looking forward to poking myself twice for the next few days, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Hopefully adding the G.onal in will make my E2 levels rise to where they should be. Let’s just hope I don’t end up being like Octo-mom.
More updates coming on Thursday afternoon.