The majority of my blog posts have dealt with infertility and loss, so I thought it would be a fun and a good change of pace to write about some things that you might not know about me already. 25 seemed like a good number, so here are 25 things about me.
1. I have one younger brother who is only 11 months younger than I am. For 6 days, we’re the same age. This always used to bother me when I was younger. Unfortunately, due to a falling out, I haven’t talked to my brother in 11 years.
2. My first surgery occurred when I was 6 years old to remove non-cancerous cysts and moles. I had 3 other surgeries for the same reason before the age of 13.
3. I’m allergic to stitches.
4. I have a red birthmark covering my entire left arm and left hand. It’s really extra blood vessels, but it’s easier to tell people that it’s a birthmark. I used to be embarrassed about it when I was younger, but I can’t imagine not having it. Removing it would be a very costly, painful, and long process, so it’s staying put.
5. I started first grade when I was only 5 years old. I told my mom that I didn’t want to go to kindergarten because that’s where the babies went and I wasn’t a baby. I was a very headstrong and stubborn child.
6. I was a DJ on my college radio station with my roommate for 3 years. We started off with a 5:30 AM time slot, but eventually scored a prime Sunday afternoon time slot. We played a lot of emo, punk, and alternative music.
7. I have seen over 200 bands in concert. This is partly due to the fact that DJs got free tickets to local shows.
8. My dad took me to my first concert when I was 14. We saw Third Eye Blind on the campus of Temple University.
9. I played on 3 basketball teams during my freshman year of high school. I hated playing with girls, so I dropped the school team when I was a sophomore and only played on 2 boys teams. I miss playing team sports.
10. I’ve known my best friend for 16 years. We met on the first day of high school back in 1996.
11. I have known E for 11 years. We met during my freshman year of college when he was home for leave from the Army. Shortly after we met, he deployed to Kosovo.
12. When I was younger, I had many career aspirations. I wanted to be a teacher, marine biologist, NICU nurse, and a writer.
13. When I was in elementary school, I used to write short stories. I was the author and my brother was the illustrator. I would love to write children’s books some day.
14. I always wanted to act when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I couldn’t muster up enough courage to try out for any of the plays.
15. I don’t like to swim in bodies of water where I can’t see the bottom. I also tend to avoid the ocean because I’m scared of jellyfish.
16. I swam with dolphins twice. Once in Florida and once in the Bahamas. I would love to swim with them again. Such amazing and intelligent creatures.
17. I will be a lifelong student. I want to get my specialist degree in order to become a reading specialist and then would love to pursue my Ph.D. in education.
18. I had cellulitis in my face back in 2007. Probably the most pain I’ve ever felt in my whole life.
19. I would love to live overseas at least once before E retires from the military. Germany is at the top of our list.
20. I’m allergic to so many medicines that I have a red sticker on my medical records at the hospital.
21. I’ve never met my mom’s side of the family. I have an aunt, uncle, and 8 cousins that I will probably never meet.
22. E and I went on a 3 week European adventure after his first deployment. We visited France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, and Turkey.
23. I hate coffee. Can’t even stand the smell of it.
24. I’ve never smoked a cigarette in my life.
25. I eat the same lunch almost every day. Turkey and cheese wrap with avocado and a side of fruit. I’m a very picky eater.
So there’s my list! Tell me something I may not know about you.