The Lupron Fiasco

Last week, I ordered my Lupron and trigger shots from a pharmacy based out of the Northeastern United States because my clinic doesn’t keep these drugs in stock. I took the day off from work because I need to be home to sign for the box of meds. No big deal, right?


I woke up yesterday morning and opened up my email. I expected to see an email containing a tracking number for my package. I’ve placed orders with this pharmacy before and they’ve always been great about sending tracking information the morning of delivery. I thought it was strange that nothing was in my email by 9 AM. 
9:30 rolls around and I finally see an email pop-up. I’m not going to lie, I was worried when I read the subject line: “Urgent.” I thought to myself, “Hmm. That can’t be good news.” 
I opened the email and found that my package had been delayed until Wednesday (today) due to unfavorable weather conditions up in the Northeast.  I was instructed to call the pharmacy if the medicine was needed before the delivery would arrive the following day. 
I immediately went into panic mood because “Oh my goodness (not what I really said. Insert some vulgar language). I have to start my L.upron injections at 6 AM tomorrow morning. This is not going to work.” 
After a few minutes of flipping out, I calmed down (a bit) and called the pharmacy. Thank goodness for good customer service. I was assured that they would have an emergency dose of L.upron delivered to me before the end of the day. However, they had to track down a pharmacy in the area that carried the medicine. I was told that I would receive a phone call when the medicine was located. 
After I hung up with the pharmacy, I called my RE’s nurse using the “IVF-only” cell phone number. It rang and rang and rang. Of course it did. It was only about 9:45 and I’m sure they were doing tests and IUIs for other patients. Surprisingly, Nurse D called me back in about 10 minutes and I explained the situation to her. She calmly told me that it wouldn’t be a huge issue if I didn’t start the L.upron injections until the evening. She assured me that it wouldn’t screw up anything. I was instructed to let her know if I received the medicine later in the day or if I would just get it tomorrow. 
Even though I was reassured that things would be okay, my irrational brain thought otherwise. I kept thinking, “What if this somehow screws up my cycle?” “Did we just pay thousands of dollars for nothing?”
The morning passed. No phone call. 
Lunch went by. No phone call. 
Finally, around 12:30, I received a phone call from the pharmacy. They were able to locate a pharmacy that was willing to deliver the L.upron to me later in the day! However, the pharmacy was about 3 hours away. I eagerly told the representative to please send the L.upron and that I would take the following day off from work to receive the rest of the medications (I unwilling took off from work, because really, I need the money).
I tried to keep busy after the call. I really, really tried. Too bad I just spent the afternoon looking out the window. 
5:00 PM came and went. 6:00 PM – still no sign of a car. 
Shortly after 6:00, I decided to follow up with the pharmacy to see if they could give me an ETA on the L.upron. I was worried that the driver had just turned around because he/she couldn’t locate our house (we live in a newer development that sometimes doesn’t show up on GPS). While I was sitting on hold, I noticed a beam of light coming through the guest bedroom window. I looked outside and lo and behold, there was a car sitting in the driveway. 
I hung up the phone quickly and ran to the door. 
I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to see a pharmacy worker. She held in her hand the precious (really evil) L.upron. I thanked her and immediately placed the vial in the fridge.
All is right in my infertility world because I got to take my first dose right on time this morning – 6 AM. 
So far I’m having some awesome side effects (I told you it was evil) – dull headache and a stomachache. 
Tomorrow morning, I add in the stims, which have been in my possession for a few weeks now. 
I really hope that this is the only fiasco I experience this cycle. Fingers crossed.

5 thoughts on “The Lupron Fiasco

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s