This is the seventh week of Thursday Thoughts hosted by Wifey, over at Wife of a Sailor. Every Wednesday, Wifey will post a new word that blog posts should be centered around. On Thursday, you’ll post your thoughts and head over to her blog to link up and share your post.
This week’s word is – Autumn
Ah, Autumn. My favorite season. There are so many things to look forward to when autumn rolls around, especially now that we’re living in Central Virginia. I’m taking the easy route with this post and listing my top ten favorite things about autumn. Here we go!
1. The humidity disappears and the air conditioning can be turned off (Who doesn’t love lower electricity bills?). Hello, 70 degree weather. I love you.
2. Sweatshirts can make their seasonal appearance on my closet shelves. Even though sweatshirts come out from their hibernation, I still manage to wear flip flops until about mid-November (Don’t judge, because you know you do the same thing).
3. Football is back, which means my Sundays are now complete. My Eagles aren’t off to a good start (Where’s the defense?), so they better step it up or I predict a lot of screaming and throwing things at the television in my future. Hear that, Chip? Step it UP!
4. Fall television shows – The summer lineup never impresses me, so I always get excited when I start seeing previews for the fall shows. Current favorites include: Big Bang Theory, New Girl, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Parenthood, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and Mike and Molly (Programming note: this will not premiere until mid-season. What?!)
5. Pumpkin baked goods – Pumpkin banana bread, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin spice pancakes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Notice I didn’t include pumpkin spice lattes (Ick) or pumpkin pie (Double ick).
6. Apple picking – The local orchard hosts an apple picking festival every weekend in October. I’m looking forward to stocking up on gala, red delicious, and granny smith apples. I can’t wait to bake them into pies, cobblers, and crumbles (Raise your hand if you think E and I will be going into sugar comas by Thanksgiving? Me! Me!)
7. Fall foliage – Reds and yellows and oranges. We have grand plans to drive through the Blue Ridge mountains so I can take pictures of the leaves changing. Be on the lookout for those in a future post.
8. Thanksgiving – I love to cook and bake and hope to contribute a lot to this year’s grand feast. Last year’s contributions included an herb roasted turkey, gravy, oatmeal walnut apple pie, and rolls.
9. Halloween candy – I don’t know if we’ll get many trick-or-treaters in the apartment complex, but you know I’ll buy one bag of candy. Now for the big decision – M&M’s or Three Musketeers?
10. Visits to the local farm for pumpkin picking and a journey through a corn maze – We started an annual tradition of heading to a local pumpkin patch and picking our own pumpkins to carve and decorate. We also love to navigate our way through a good corn maze.
What are your favorite things about autumn?